Thirty Minute Thursdays: Mexican Fiesta Salad



Boy, I really let this Thirty Minute Thursday get down to the wire, didn’t I? It’s been a busy day, and after writing a fairly long product review yesterday, I’ll keep this one short and sweet.

The recipe from Rachael Ray’s cookbook that I have for you today is called a Mexican Fiesta Salad, and there isn’t much to say about it except that I really enjoyed it. Halfway through February, we’re well into the season of heavy eating – filling stews, chili, casseroles. It was nice to work this into my dinner plan for the week because of how clean and simple it was, providing a nice change from the more traditional winter fare. I want to say this even tastes good for you, that’s how light it is, but I feel like people interpret a phrase like that in a very negative way. It tastes good for you in a way that makes you feel good about yourself, not in a way that makes you feel like you’re eating cardboard and calling it diet food, or something miserable like that. It would pair well with other “clean” foods, by which I really mean other light dishes – no sauces, no gobs of cheese, even red meat might be a little too overpowering for this little gem. I ate it with a simple egg white omelet (is it just me, or is there something extremely refreshing about a plain, well cooked batch of egg whites?), but can imagine it being excellent in a number of other ways, too: grilled chicken, a light wrap or sandwich, or a bean salad on the side. You could even use the salad as a topping for plain tortilla chips.

This salad is vibrant in color but subtle in flavor. The cilantro and lime are at just the right intensities, and the red onion offers a small bite in both texture and flavor. The recipe certainly isn’t revolutionary, but it is very enjoyable, and it may even make you feel like Spring is just around the corner.




Mexican Fiesta Salad, courtesy of Rachael Ray’s Classic 30 Minute Meals
Yield: 4 servings

The Ingredients
2 ripe avocados
3 tomatoes1
⅓– ½ red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 limes, halved

The Method
Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh from the skin and slice the avocados into wedges. Arrange in the center of a platter. Coarsely chop the tomatoes2 and add them around the avocado pieces. Arrange the sliced onion over the platter and sprinkle with cilantro.3 Squeeze the juice of 2 limes evenly over the platter.

Notes:
1I used 8 cherry tomatoes instead
2For a prettier presentation, remove the seeds first – though I generally didn’t find this to be necessary.
3I used “tube cilantro” which is fairly liquid and therefore doesn’t exactly sprinkle. If you’re in the same boat, mix the cilantro into the lime juice (I opted for bottled, by the way), and drizzle the mixture over the platter at the end.



 


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment