Sesame-Hoisin Kale


I talk a lot about low-carb meals here, and I always feel as though I should be prefacing these references with a PSA about how beautiful carbs really are and how I do genuinely support eating an adequate amount of them. I just personally happen to gravitate toward a very high carbohydrate diet, and if I don’t make it a point to eat a few low-carbohydrate meals eachweek, I tend to be a bit of a carb loader. So when I go off on these “…and it was even low-carb!” please don’t take me as Atkins’ number one fan.

With that being said, I do enjoy eating a very low carbohydrate meal from time to time. Unfortunately, I’ve found that carbohydrates have a lot of staying power, and it can be tricky to make a healthy, filling meal without them sometimes. This recipe for Sesame Kale is, unfortunately, an example of that. It tasted great – naturally sweet yet savory, a little chewy as wilted kale tends to be. I wanted the poached egg that I served on top of it to be less cooked to create a creamy sauce for the kale, but it didn’t really happen. C’est la vie. Hoisin also came through as the dominant flavor rather than sesame, so maybe this should be called Hoisin Kale - but does a rose by any other name still taste as delicious? Why yes, yes it does.

The only thing I would change would be to either use it as a side dish for a larger meal or throw in a piece of toast. I’m waving my white flag of surrender to the carbohydrate enthusiasts out there – you’ve won this one. It did not satiate me as a low-carb dinner, but it isn’t as though I left the kitchen table famished, either. I just needed a little pick me up later on in the night. Take that as you will – but whether you make this exactly as I’ve indicated or you incorporate it into a more filling dinner, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this one.


Sesame-Hoisin Kale, adapted from In Good Taste
Yield: 2 servings

The Ingredients
10 cups kale
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

The Method
Place the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and set aside until hot.

Meanwhile, wash the kale but don’t dry completely. Remove the leaves from the stems and tear or chop them into smaller, bite-sized pieces.

When the oil is hot, add the garlic to the pan and sauté for no more than 1 minute before stirring in the kale. If the kale is particular dry, add up to 1 tablespoon of water. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring once about one-third of the way through. Once the kale has wilted, stir in the hoisin sauce and season with the black pepper before serving.









  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment