Pasta with Meat Sauce for Dad



Hopefully everyone is recovering from a delicious Father's Day spread! How did you celebrate? Are there any really great (or not-so-great) dishes you tried out? I baked up a loaf of my modified banana bread, but it didn't go over well. I'm not really sure what happened - I made it almost exactly the same way as the previous time I tried it, but the last loaf was out of this world. I was a little disappointed, but tried not to let the flop get to me. It just means I have some more experimenting ahead of me!



My family celebrated Father's Day yesterday with an extravagant platter from a nearby deli and three - three! - cakes from a bakery. I brought my homemade banana bread, but most of the dinner was catered to make my grandmother (the hostess) feel less stressed about the entire preparation. So, instead of telling you about the meal that we made for our family's dads, today I have a recipe for pasta & meat sauce that, although my dad didn't taste himself, is right up his alley. I wouldn't call spaghetti his favorite meal, but he loves a good plate of pasta with meat sauce, and this version that I tried was pretty delicious! It definitely won't be my go-to spaghetti sauce, but I enjoyed it and would even make it again. It smelled amazing and is hearty enough to pass as a stew with a nice, crusty loaf of bread if you didn't want to serve it with the traditional pasta.



One Year Ago: The Restaurant Blues

Tomato Sauces au passé: Sneaky Veggie Pasta Sauce



Pasta with Meat Sauce, adapted from Cooking During Stolen Moments

Yield: 4 servings




The Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey breast

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 zuchinni, quartered lengthwise and sliced

¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes

30 ounces whole peeled tomatoes, crushed

4 ounces tomato paste

½ cup chicken stock

3 cups spinach, finely chopped

1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano

1 ¼ teaspoons dried basil

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

1 bay leaf

fresh ground black pepper, to taste

penne or crusty bread, for serving



The Method

Add the turkey, olive oil, onion, pepper, garlic and zucchini to a large skillet over medium heat. Season with red pepper flakes and cook, breaking the turkey up, until the mixture has browned. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly. Cook until the sauce begins to bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until ready to serve, at least 10 minutes. Serve over pasta or alongside a loaf of bread.


 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment