Light & Dreamy Crustless Spinach-Tomato Quiche for One...or many!

This crustless spinach-tomato quiche is possibly one of the best egg dishes I have ever had, and if you follow my blog at all, you’ll know that I’m no stranger to delicious egg-based meals. I used to think that quiches and frittatas were out of the question in the Floptimism kitchen, because when you’re cooking for one, you either need to make freezable meals or, well, simply cook for one. Because quiches are always presented in these full-sized pie plates, I never really considered the idea of scaling down the recipe to be a single portion. As soon as I did, though, I knew I was in for a real treat!

So, calculator in hand, I decided to modify this recipe to serve 1 person, and gathered my ingredients. Everything was going smoothly until I opened up my can of evaporated milk only to be met with a yellow, chunky, smelly concoction. I still cringe at the thought of that well-past-its-prime can of milk, slopping down my kitchen drain. In a pinch, I used regular milk to replace it, and really didn’t notice any ill effects from it. If you have a can of evaporated milk on hand – one that, unlike mine, has not surpassed its use-by date – I would recommend using it, but otherwise, stick with what you’ve got. It’ll turn out fine either way.

This quiche is slightly sweet, but just enough so as not to overpower the larger savory components at hand. In the end, I really only had two complaints – the slices of tomato looked pretty, but meant that you either had to take a full slice in one bite, or you had to eat this with a knife in hand (boy does that make me sound lazy). Secondly, the instructions to put the cheese on the bottom have me befuddled, for lack of a better word. It really just got melty and soggy, and while it still tasted as delicious as melty cheese is expected to taste, I might prefer it in the middle or on the top (or all three!) to get it a little bit crisper. Granted, I also used feta cheese which is not known for its crispness, but I hope you know what I mean. If you make those two small changes (or if whole tomato slices & soggy cheese is your thing), this dish is a home run.

Quiches & Frittatas au passe: Frittata Caprese for One

Crustless Spinach & Tomato Quiche, adapted from Gluten Free Mommy
Yield: 1 serving*

The Ingredients
2 tablespoons (reduced fat) feta cheese
2 tablespoons shredded (reduced fat) cheddar cheese
¼ cup spinach leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon thinly sliced red onion
½ plum tomato, sliced & slivered
¼ cup (low-fat) milk
1 large egg
pinch each of paprika & dried basil

The Method
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a single-serving baking dish. Beat together the eggs, milk and cayenne pepper in a separate bowl, and set aside. Spread 1 tablespoon of the cheddar cheese over the bottom of the dish and top it with layers of red onion, spinach, and tomato. Sprinkle the top with basil and 1 tablespoon of feta. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and top with the remaining cheddar and feta cheeses. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.

Notes:
*This was originally made for 4-6 people, so feel free to adjust the ingredients and bakeware to suit your needs.


 


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment